Monday, January 19, 2009

Polar Bear Plunge


Saturday, February 23, 2008
Polar Bear Plunge
I never did post this right away, like I was going to, but the more I think about it, the more I have to write SOMETHING.
For a couple of weeks now, the buzz on the forums of SJG was a Polar Bear Plunge in Sea Isle City. There were challenges issued, people were taunted, all to see who was brave enough to take the plunge. Somehow, some way, I found myself saying, "I'll do it." Must have been a moment of insanity. But I committed. The day grew closer and it stayed in my head as a crazy thing to do. I wasn't alone at least. There were about 15 of us who were going to do it. Some of the coolest people I know.
The day finally arrived and we all met in Sea Isle City. We got there early to register and hung around watching the festivities. There were a TON of people there! We weren't the only crazy ones! We were all getting anxious as the time got closer and closer. Finally it was time to head to the shore and we all started down. The amount of people there to take the plunge was amazing but the amount of people there to watch, was even more amazing.
Down to our bathing suits, we awaited the whistle. The air temperature was 38 degress and so was the water temp. The whistle blew and we watched the first large group go down, but we waited until they started coming out before we headed down. Running to the water, I kept thinking, "I can't believe I am doing this." Then I hit the water. Hmmm....wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Got out to my thighs and dove in! I had a minute of losing my breath from the cold, but that quickly went away and I was feeling pretty damn good!
We got back to the shore and Doug had brought this huge beach towel and was gracious enough to hold it around a few of us as we changed back into our clothes. I was totally amazed! I wasn't cold. And I felt great! We all put out stuff in our cars and met at the designated meeting place and walked around for a bit trying to find a place open to eat and decided to get in our cars and head to a diner down shore. We had a good meal and headed home. I started shivering when I got to my car and didn't stop until I crawled into my bed with the electric blanket on high!
Thinking back I can't believe I was so apprehensive about doing this. It was an awesome experience and I can't wait until next year!

Stay tuned - this weekend is the climb of my life. Decided over a few Land Sharks at the Pic last night. More to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment