Monday, January 19, 2009

Manunka Chunk Tunnels


My best friend calls me and tells me he is going to hit his 900th cache. And he wants to do Manunka Chunk Tunnels. These are frickin' awesome. I got this cache almost a year ago, but it was one of those areas that I would return to again and again. They are abandoned train tunnels, side by side. One has collapsed and they both fill with water. It is only about a 1000 foot hike but it is a difficult hike even when it is not freezing and everything is covered with ice.

So I call my extreme caching partner in crime and we decide to head up there. And off we go.

We get to the area and the ground is covered in snow. Same as last time but it seems...colder. We make the trek through the tunnel which is a lot more difficult because the water it is filled with is now frozen and makes for a difficult hike.

Eventually, after a lot of laughs we reach the other side. Our relief is short lived when I get a look at the wall of the ravine. It is covered in at least a foot of ice. There is no way we are geting this cache. The guys check some areas and chip at the ice for a long while, but eventually we all realize it is futile. So we explore the other tunnel which seems like an easy walk, until it turns into semi-frozen mud that just starts sucking our boots in. A half an hour later, we make it out with all of our limbs and head back the way we came.
We eventually got my friends 900th cache, but it was a lot easier. Andmaybe we will be back to make it his 1000th. And it turns out there is another cache out there that was the original and becasue of a collapse, it was buried. There is a trapped TB in there. Maybe a rescue mission at the same time?

No comments:

Post a Comment