Sunday, March 29, 2009

The practice


I have been rappelinga bit, but only made a couple of short ascents. And never with a setup like Dutch's. So the plan was laid. We decided to meet the day after scoping out the PUC#13, to practice and learn ascension techniques.

Four of our team members (Linuxxpert - Dutch and DJ, me and Mike from the Peanuts) met up bright and early (another leaving the house before daylight day for me) to do a little practice and learning. As I pulled up, Dutch, DJ and Mike were laying the lines over the pillar nearwhere Dutch has a cache. It was at least 40 feet in the air. They got the lines laid and the rope over.

Dutch made the first ascent. I guess to show us how "easy" it was. Then I climbed. Went up about halfway, struggling to work the new type of ascender and the gris gris. I came down to give someone else a shot. Mike went up and made it to the top. Dj went up. In the meantime, my friend Mark (4wheelin_fool) stopped by and he made a couple of attempts. Then Dutch went up again. When he came down, he said that if I didn't make it to the top, he was going to tell everyone what a girl I was. Grrrr... So I harnessed up and ascended. All the way up! So there! I guess I am not a "girl", but I am, really I am....

Way tired from two days of way too much driving I headed home. Exhausted with very sore and tired arms, but feeling pretty freakin' good about myself!

No comments:

Post a Comment